Friday, October 27, 2017

Week 10 Story: The Jealous Weiner

There once was a bratwurst named Big Mac. He lived in the deli meat section of a refrigerator. With him lived a hot dog named Lil Mac as well as a few dozen hamburgers. 

The owner of the refrigerator was Brett. Brett was going to have a cookout with all of his friends that night. He told his son Jack to get the hamburgers out of the refrigerator and get them ready for the cookout. 

Lil Mac was so excited when Jack opened the refrigerator and opened the deli meat drawer, but lost that excitement when Jack only grabbed the burgers and shut the drawer. 

"Why did he only take the hamburgers, Big Mac?" asked Lil Mac, "I want to go on the adventure!"  

Big Mac explained: "My friend Lil Mac, do not envy those hamburgers. Yes, they get to go on an adventure outside of the deli meat drawer, but it is an adventure you do not want to go on. You will soon see why this is so."

Lil Mac watched throughout the afternoon trying to understand what Big Mac meant. All he saw was the burgers getting pampered, making him more and more jealous. They got seasoned with wonderful herbs and spices, cooked to perfection, and dressed up in crisp lettuce, fresh tomatoes, pickles, onions, and sauces.

Lil Mac said “I don’t understand, Big Mac. Those burgers are so lucky to get all that special treatment! Why shouldn’t I be jealous?!”

Big Mac responded, “Just watch my friend.”

Not long after, Lil Mac watched as those burgers that he so envied were eaten one by one! He watched in horror as they were ripped apart, cut in half, and chomped down on until the last one disappeared.

Big Mac asked, “Do you now understand why it is foolish to envy those taken out of our drawer?”

“Now I understand.” Lil Mac said squeamishly, “I will no long envy anyone taken out of this refrigerator, I am lucky to live out my life in this deli meat drawer.”

Bibliography: The Jataka Tales of India By Ellen C. Babbitt (Link)

Cheeseburger (Source)

Author’s Note: For this story, my inspiration came from the Week 10 reading of The Jataka Tales by Ellen C. Babbitt. Specifically, I used the story “The Ox Who Envied the Pig” as the model for this story. That story tells the tale of an ox who is jealous of a pig who is given better food, but he doesn’t know that the pig is only getting the better food because he is being fattened up for slaughter. I used hot dogs and hamburgers instead of farm animals. These characters came to me because I am dressing up as a hot dog for Halloween and the story just flowed from there.

8 comments:

  1. Hayden, I must say that I could not help but laugh the entire time! I LOVE your story! After reading the author's note, it totally makes sense why you would utilize hot dogs and hamburgers. It is less gruesome compared to farm animals. This also reminds me of the movie, Sausage Party, but not as inappropriate. Lol. Overall, I really enjoyed the way you gave them life and still taught the lesson of not being envious of others!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hayden,

    Wow! What a creative story. The title of your story definitely caught my eye, and I just had to keep reading. I like that your story was pretty much inspired by your hotdog costume. It shows that creativity can pretty much stem from anything. I hope you had as much fun writing this story as I did reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hayden!
    How creative, your title was definitely hilarious and the rest of your story didn't disappoint! I like that you used "Big Mac" and "Lil Mac" as the food characters. Having food characters definitely lightens up the mood in comparison, leaving the same overall meaning of the story, while keeping laughter and a smile on the reader's face.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hayden!

    This story definitely made me laugh at first glance. I really didn’t think I would ever be reading something titled, “The Jealous Wiener” in this class. This definitely was an interesting twist on the original story but I still really enjoyed it. It kind of reminded me of that ridiculous movie, “Sausage Party.” But I definitely liked your story better. It was really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Hayden.
    As soon as started reading your story I couldn’t help but laugh at it. It was a pretty funny and creative way of retelling this story. I’m also grateful that your author’s note told the original story because it is one I have not read and it helped me now the background behind yours. I hope to read more of your stuff soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hayden!

    I loved your twist on "The Ox who Envied the Pig". That story stuck out to me when I read the Jatakas, and setting it in a more modern setting worked really well. The idea of hamburgers and hotdogs chatting in the fridge makes for good comedy. The story was funny and well written. Great job and I cannot wait to read more!

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hayden,

    Let me start off by saying LOL ROFL LMAO HAHAHA. What a great story about a weiner. I mean, a weiner, who would have thought such a thing! It's great that you also dressed up as a weiner for Halloween, what a coincidence! I just wanted to take a big bite out of you all night long. Great twist on the original story. I also read this story and looooved it. Again, fantastic story. Keep up the great work Mr. Treasurer.

    -Tailgate Cleanup Chair

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Hayden!

    You did a great job retelling the "The Ox who envied the Pig" story! This story kind of reminded me of the movie Sausage Party! Lol! Im not sure if you have watched it! Your story is very easy and entertaing to read. You did a great job. The parallel between the Pig and the Hamburgers is clear as day!

    -Taylor

    ReplyDelete

Extra Credit Reading: Rouse. Giant Crab

For this last extra credit reading I read from a group of stories by Rouse. I particularly enjoyed one story called "The Lion and the B...