Monday, December 4, 2017

Wikipedia Trail: Ravi Shankar to Timbre

I started this wikipedia trail by going to the class announcements page where I found a video of a man named Ravi Shankar playing classical India music. On his wikipedia page I read that he was a very famous musician across India and Europe and even served in the upper chamber of the Parliament of India. From there I found George Harrison, who had worked with Shankar in the 1960s. Harrison was the lead guitarist for the Beatles and was ranked as number 11 of Rolling Stone magazines "top 100 guitarists of all time." From there I found the slide guitar which is a techniques for playing guitar that involves a tube placed on on the the fingers of the guitarist which is slid up and down the neck of the instrument. This was popular in blues style music and started in the 1920s. Finally, I made it to Timbre. This is the word used in music for the quality of sound. Timbre is what makes the difference in sound between a guitar and a piano playing the same note at the same volume.

Slide Guitar (Source)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Extra Credit Reading: Rouse. Giant Crab

For this last extra credit reading I read from a group of stories by Rouse. I particularly enjoyed one story called "The Lion and the B...